Search This Blog

Thursday, March 02, 2006

grafiti/graffiti



Hay malo

There is bad





Y bueno

And good





Good

Bueno





Malo

Bad




A veces no es claro

Sometimes you are
just not sure


We we first bought our new house it was tagged. We painted it out immediately. It was soon tagged again and we painted it out again, and again. Then it stopped. We have not been tagged again for 6 months.

I have very mixed feelings about graffiti. Some is ugly, some beautiful. Some I agree with, some I don't, some I just don't understand. I have noticed that the beautiful graffiti tends not to get tagged.

Personally I find the McDonald's arches more offensive than any other graffiti I have seen. The authorities seem to give commercial graffiti much more leeway than non-commercial. This seems backward to me, but I'm usually out of step. The examples above are all disapproved by the authorities.

The example below is not.








Except on aesthetic grounds I have a hard time seeing the difference.

All photos were taken from the malecon, the beach walk, in Playas de Tijuana.

1 comment:

oregongreg said...

Good selection of street 'art.'
Part of how I evaluate it is intention.
Art is meant to stir emotion.
Tagging seems a bit like an animal spraying to mark territory.